Support Scientist – Model Evaluation Group
Apr. 17, 2017 12:00 am
May 17, 2017 12:00 am
I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG)
- United States
NOA1764: Support Scientist – Model Evaluation Group
College Park, MD
I.M. Systems Group, Inc. (IMSG), www.imsg.com a Federal Government Contractor is seeking to fill a full-time position supporting the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP). The contractor will serve as a meteorologist developer at the Environmental Modeling Center (EMC) and will have direct interaction with scientists within NOAA as well as partners outside of NOAA. This includes; NCEP centers, NWS weather forecast offices, NOAA research facilities, academia, and the NWS Science and Operations Officer community. The incumbent will provide support to EMC’s Model Evaluation Group, assisting with the group’s efforts to evaluate and verify NCEP models on the meso, synoptic, and global scales. Areas of focus will include forecasts of heavy precipitation, winter storms, severe convection, tropical systems, aviation applications, and the large-scale circulation. Additional responsibilities will include providing support to efforts to post process and visualize model output.
Specific activities may include but are not limited to:
- Evaluate and assess the guidance provided by multiple numerical weather prediction models on high-impact events
- Assess longer-term performance of parallel versions of numerical weather prediction models using objective methods
- Validate performance of parallel versions of numerical weather prediction models, using both statistical and subjective methods
- Provide general support to a project analyzing historical winter storms
- Work with forecasters in the field to keep them informed of model biases and upcoming changes, and investigate model problems that they report
- Provide general support on verification and post processing of model output
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Advanced degree in meteorology (MS or above preferred)
- Extensive practical application of computing languages such as FORTRAN and C, geophysical data formats (NetCDF, GRIB, BUFR etc.), and graphical display programs such as GEMPAK, MATLAB, IDL, etc.
- Extensive experience in developing programs and scripts using FORTRAN and UNIX
- Experience in advanced scripting languages (e.g., UNIX, PERL, ksh, Python, Ruby etc.)
- Experience in model testing and evaluation and/or knowledge of verification principles.
- Ability to analyze/plot and verify model output independently
- An understanding of weather forecasting in the short and medium range
- Demonstrated skill in communicating effectively with scientists of diverse backgrounds and to present results accurately and clearly in both oral and written form
- Ability to work independently and in the team environment
- Ability to work in fast-paced environment
- Basic knowledge of the physical and mathematical basis of geophysical models
- Basic knowledge in MPI parallel programing
- Demonstrated skill in performing tasks requiring organization and attention to detail
- Knowledge of statistical principles and strong analytical skills
Please note U.S. citizenship or green card is required for the position.
Please apply directly to our career portal or website: www.imsg.com or https://careers-imsg.icims.com (NOA1764- Support Scientist-Model Evaluation Group ). Include your resume, three references with contact information and a cover letter explaining how your qualifications meet the requirements of the position. Please indicate your timeline of availability and preferred salary level for consideration.
IMSG offers an outstanding overall Benefits Package including company paid leave, medical dental, vision, and 401K. IMSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Veteran Friendly.
IMSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Veteran friendly.